Monday, February 15, 2010

BlackPowder Gunsmithing

After a long day at work (cook on V-Day...) I got it in my head that I really needed to look into this. 25 years ago I had the fortunate experience to work with Hans Vang in Southern California. My interests at the time would have propelled me to follow in his footsteps had I not talked myself out of it all those years ago... I spent years burying that interest as I just couldn't afford to keep it going. Not that I can afford to do now :p but I have a career in the kitchen and I can now accept that this is something I REALLY wanted to do for SOOOO long.

But I don't have as much drive to work on modern firearms, I want to focus on muzzleloaders, and I am not going to talk myself out of it. I'm going to study what skills I'll need, what tools, what licences, so on and so forth. I may need to take a few classes and I may have to get certified somewhere.. or something... Who knows, but that is what I'm going to find out. I'm giving myself a few deadlines on research and a project that must me made.

Anyone who knows me or has read this blog knows my feelings on in-line or "the Modern" muzzleloader... Ya I don't care for them much... at all... SOOO my project is to convert a popular model using my current skills into something of a flagship muzzleloader that those that like in-lines would be ok in purchasing as a conversion. Whether I sell that one or convert others is not my current goal. Getting it made, using it on a hunt, and having that peer group critique it. If it's a favorable endeavor, and something I can afford to produce at a reasonable cost than I'll start with that project. Ether way I'll end up with an In-line that I can stand to have around and it will tell me if I have what it takes to continue this endeavour :)

I'll be posting my project as it comes together. Till that time it will have to remain my little secret :)

No comments:

Post a Comment