Friday, April 9, 2010

Shaving around camp

Funny how hobbies can overlap at times. I have been a straight razor shaver for 3 or 4 years exclusively now and it just dawned on me that I'm using a few razors that where around during the early days of the American long rifle. Well almost, my oldest one is from the 1790's and a few more from the early 1800's.

I recently was in a conversation with a few reenactors that wanted to get a period correct shave kit set up. And that got me thinking I should look at what I have and see if I could set up my own gear. Granted I'm not much of a PC lawyer but it would still be interesting to group some of my guns with other goodies from the times.

If more are interested I'll post some pics and go from there, heck I just bought another one that looks to be a mid 1800's french razor that should clean up to shave ready. We shall see when it arrives, my first french blade :p

2 comments:

  1. Now you know you can count me in. I would be very interested to see what items you have/get. I do not know how much difference there is between a 1790 razor and a 1740 razor, but I would not have thought there would be much difference between them.
    Good post.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 1800 the shape started to change quite a bit. Pre 1790 where all pretty much sharpened popcicle sticks, I'll get the pics up soon...

    ReplyDelete