Monday, April 12, 2010

Skills... Oh my...

As I go about my usual routine I find tidbits of interesting info that tend to tie allot of loose thoughts together. Say for instance, as I posted earlier, how people are loosing the ability to feed themselves from scratch http://dwarvenchef.blogspot.com/2010/04/ramen.html , and a story from a search and rescue writer about how people react when under survival issues. And some interesting comments here http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/ . A loss of basic skills that not to long ago was common knowledge, seems to accelerate as we become more tech savvy. Problem is that that High Tech life style is so fragile. Look at all the natural disasters that have happened in the past few years that have really shocked the world. How many of these people could take basic care of them selves in these situations?

How does this all tie into this Blog? Well I'm glad you asked :p Ok the echo's can stop now, darn crickets...

Muzzleloading as a hobby is returning to the basics of shooting and marksmanship. Once we get used to the way a muzzleloader (ML) works we start looking at different styles of ML. We find the flintlock, Now we don't need to rely on a cap to fire the rifles charge. Than we start looking how to knapp our own flints. What I'm getting at is that without thinking about it we are starting to learn a skill that will help us outside of our hobby. By learning some Primitive Living skills, say from an interest in colonial living shows. Your also learning a few vital skills that will help your odds of surviving a catastrophic collapse, be in a natural disaster or a laps of direction in the woods at the wrong possible time. Being able to make shelter and a fire from what you can find around you is a HUGE first step in surviving till help finds you, or strengthens you so you can go find help.

The more I dig into my interests in muzzleloading and primitive living the more I feel at peace with my surroundings. So if I get into an accedend going over the mountains, a trip I do all the time, I know I'll be able collect myself shortly and get stabelized enough to hang in there overnight or a few days. The news is full of stories about someone that let panic rule them and they didn't survive, only a short distance from help.

Sorry for the public announcement here, we will now return to our regular ramblings about muzzloaders :)

For those interested in reading more http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1731145&gonew=1#UNREAD

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1731145#Post1731145

2 comments:

  1. Hi DW,
    I'm really just on the first steps of becomeing more atuned with the outdoors and have amazed myself that, for a reasonable intelligent guy (i think), how little I really know. The learning curve is steep but enjoyable and I now Am just beginning to understand the importance of all the knowledge of basic survival that the majority have lost. Great post, glad I'm taggibg along.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definately on the right track.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete