Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rekindled interest :)


A book I have been long looking out for, was sent to me. In it is some information about my great great grandfather who was a gunsmith in the 1860's. I found this info out at a time I was trying to build a long term "hobby/job" out of the muzzleloading lifestyle. Over the years family members had mentioned to me about the family history and it never sank in, last year it took hold and has really bitten into me :p


Cooking is my livelihood at the moment and almost pays the bills, plus being allot of fun when I can cook my own way. But I need something away from the kitchen to lighten up with. My other hobbies do help and are good to switch to when things get clogged up, but I always seem to come back to muzzleloading, even though i haven't shot in years. I maintain my current arms and generally get attracted to just about anything from my preferred era, funny as it's also the same time frame as when my ancestor was gunsmithing :p the mid 1800's :) Most of my razors are from this time, coins, so many other interests seem to flow back to this time period. So I think I need to listen to this and get busy with it :)


Granted most of my family roots are back east, my immediate family was the only ones to go west that I know of. So I will be looking to that migration period to form my own interests. The idea of setting up a "Trading Post - BP Gunsmith" focusing on the mid 1800's just seems like a fun thing to do as a hobby business if and when I can retire, plus the idea of having a place away from the house to have my stuff :)


Well time to read some more of my new book, "The Pennsylvania Kentucky Rifle" I'm sure I'll finish it in a month :)

2 comments:

  1. Very glad to see you are getting back into it. I would recommend though that you do some research into the earlier period, say at least mid 18th century. It helps to make more sense of what comes later.
    For instance the Mountain Men/beaver fur trappers of the 19th century still used flintlocks, because they were more dependible in the wilderness. Percussions were slow to catch on, only becoming popular in places where the caps were readily available.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do intend (doing so currently) to read up on earlier gunsmiths. Very interesting stuff :) I'm taking notes of what styles where known to happen in the area my GG grandfather lived to see what I can put into the rifle I will build from there :) While I'm sure caps where in swing where he was.. I want a flinty for that rifle and I'm sure he would have worked on them. I'm also planning on looking for any war time info that may list him in, just for personal info. I'm more interested in the arms pre Civil War, I have enough durring and after :p

    ReplyDelete